The Challenge at Manele
Location: Manele, Lanai, Hawaii
Golf Course Architect: Nicklaus Design
Scope: Concept design, schematic design, design/documentation plus construction observation
Program: One 18 hole golf course.
Description: Located high above Hulopo’e Bay on the island of Lanai, The Challenge At Manele is one of the most dramatic golf courses in Hawaii. The course is built upon several hundred acres of ancient lava outcroppings with amazing views to the Pacific Ocean from every hole. Archaeological ruins and large tracts of native vegetation preserved throughout the site. The Manele development was designed to include three distinct zones composed of the coastal, the upland and the built environments. Golfscape staff assisted in creating these natural transitions with careful planning, design and appropriate softscape and hardscape material choices. We worked closely with Nicklaus Design Golf Course Architects to blend the harsh exposed environments along the ocean holes to the lush zone of the upland holes, the entry and roadway. Native, naturalized and salt tolerant plantings were selected for their hardiness and endemic character for this rugged exposed site.
- "Top 75 Golf Resorts in America, #7 (2002) (tied with the Koele Bay Hotel) - Golf Digest
- "Top 10 Hawaiian Resorts," #1 (2002) (tied with the Koele Bay Hotel) - Golf Digest
- "The World's Best: Top 25 Hawaii Resorts" Ranked #16 (August 2002) Conde Nast Traveler Readers Poll
- "75 Top Golf Resorts Around the World" #3 overall (June 2002) Conde Nast Traveler Readers' Poll
- "Top 40 Spas in North America and the Caribbean" #6 overall (April 2002) Conde Nast Traveler
- "America's Best Resorts: Gold & Silver Medal Resort Awards" Gold Medalist (Jan. 2002) Conde Nast Traveler
- "Gold List: World's Best Places to Stay" #2, (Nov. 2001) overall ranking in Hawaii Zagat's Hotel Survey
- "Top U.S. Hotels, Resorts & Spas, 2001-2002" #3 Tied, Top 50 Resorts-U.S.